Monday, March 5, 2012

Day 37: I can't believe I've been here for 37 days!


Holy Moly. Counting the number of days I've been here really surprised me-- I can't believe how fast the time is flying! The last couple weeks, I've gotten to see a lot of different places in Southern Spain.

I had a planned excursion to Ronda with my program. Though it was kind of a dreary day, I had some great company exploring the town and enjoying warm tea in a tapas bar. To the left is a photo of the famous Ronda bridge. The views were breath-taking from every angle.

Last week, I had my one and only visitor: Carlos! We had an incredible time! For 4 days of his visit we rented a car and explored Southern Spain.


I was exposed to a Spain very different from the one I know in Sevilla. It was very eye-opening to see the poverty in much of the countryside-- such a contrast from the apparent wealth in the city. I am very interested to learn more about the "Gypsies" here. I am not sure if that is a politically correct term but it is what everyone calls them. It is so fascinating to learn about another country's strengths and struggles. It is humbling to realize how little I really know and understand about our world. I feel like the time I have spent in Spain has given me a new-found thirst for knowledge and understanding of life in other places. At the same time, it as brought to my attention my luxuries in the United States.

Carlos and I were equally blown away by the beauty of the Spanish countryside. The "pueblos blancos" (white towns) were littered across the mountains and we had the most spectacular ride I've ever experienced! The different landscapes and formations made for an incredible ride. I loved driving our little manual car through the mountains and navigating the roundabouts! With no GPS we had the freedom to make mistakes and find new routes. It was quite exciting. You can view our road trip above.

I cannot express how comforting it was to have a loved one here with me! I wish all of my family and friends could come and experience Spain!

Observations, Lessons, Reflections, etc.
1. Empujar means to push, not pull.
2. Drivers in Spain are kind of crazy, but very good. -- credit to Carlos
3. Having a happy birthday is more about who you're with than where you are.
4. Sometimes waiters will offer you a second entree. Don't let the language barrier fool you, it's not complimentary.
5. Arab baths are really cool-- literally. You begin in a warm bath and rotate to a freezing cold bath every other turn. It was a super fun and relaxing experience!
6. Labor day in Spain calls for festivals in every small town-- and festivals call for gigantic celebration dresses.
7. There are a lot of stray cats here-- today I thought one was going to attack me.
8. Living in a city allows for new discoveries every day. I love it.
9. While talking about culture in the U.S., China, and Spain, the Spaniard in my group asked these three questions about the US: Do frat houses really have huge parties? Do all people in Texas really listen to country music and line dance? and Do all people really own guns? Pretty interesting!
10. American music is everywhere-- along with American TV shows, movies, etc. Why are we so dominating?

Thanks for reading and have a great week! Love to you all!


No comments:

Post a Comment