Friday, May 4, 2012

Day 97: Blog-xperiment

Wow. Wowzers. Wow. I can not believe it is day 97! How fast the time has flown. So much has happened since I last wrote: Semana Santa, Cordoba/Granada (final excursion with my program) my first (2 week!) solo trip, I have accepted a position as Youth Advocate for when I return to the States, etc. I am currently looking for apartments in the Quad Cities, since I will only have three days to readjust before beginning my job. I have culture shock just writing about it. 

Since I don't want to type all of my journal entries, I have decided to try a writing experiment. I am going to type every fifth sentence from my journal entries over the last month (jeez, next time I live abroad I will do a better job at blogging!) I have no idea how this will turn out, but enjoy! I usually filter what I share on here but with this experiment I promise utmost honesty :)

Inside the Mosque of Cordoba. Cordoba Excursion.
Flamenco show in a cave in Granada. Granada Excursion.
View of the Alhambra at night. Granada Excursion.
...Well, I have been back to Sevilla for two days now. I feel lost with the little details (what I'm going to do when I get home, where I'm going to live, etc.) to the big issues (how can I find meaning in life? what will make me happy?) It's such a surreal feeling. It's Semana Santa this week and I am confronted with a rigorous, symbolic, and traditional practice.

Semana Santa in Sevilla. 

 I don't know why I felt compelled to do this trip, but I think that desire and motivation came from God. She showed me the way to the old town, and an AMAZING vegetarian restaurant. I met four other girls staying in our room, Ana and Isabella from Brazil were my favorite. Then I went on a walking tour with Joshua Samuel-- I ended up being the only person on the tour so it was really fun. After the tour, Joshua and I went to a typical Czech. restaurant for goulash. 


Looking out over Prague. 
Enjoying some good Czech. goulash! 

The video showing communism over the years was really hard to watch-- what a resilient people. After the John Lennon wall, I made my way back to the hostel. I was pretty hungry and I went. It sounds like Canada is doing some things right. My heart started beating a little faster, I was nervous about getting to the train station, the cable car was supposed to be the easy part! I turned around, went back, and was greeted with her face which looked a little frightened. Does #14 even exist?? So I was left, waiting for #24 or #3. Only after the man turned to make sure I had found it. It's amazing how nice, friendly, and helpful people are! Impressions of Germany: sky lights! I was very proud of myself though, it's an amazing feeling to begin the day in Prague, and end the night in Munich. I loved driving through the German countryside, it was so quaint and beautiful. I really like both of them. I think it really threw me for a loop. I hope we are able to stay friends. Got rained on for the second time! It was very strange going to the Concentration Camp.
Entering Dachau Concentration Camp.

 It is so sad how some Americans act. I am very happy, but I don't feel passionate. I do know that I'm so thankful to be here, and feel very empowered. I am on my way to Wien-- Vienna, Austria-- home of Sigmund Freud!! 



It's funny how I'm meeting so many people that the relationships are becoming less meaningful now. Salzburg is a place that my parents and Carlos would love! I'm really happy with this decision. Thank you, God, thanks for taking care of me. 
Touring the Castle in Salzburg, Austria.

Tonight, at 5:30. It was a standing ticket, in basically the last row, but still! I'm really glad I left Salzburg when I did or I would have missed the Opera! They were such beautiful singers, there is music everywhere here! Austria is a gorgeous country.

I got the golden ticket!! -Vienna Opera house

She's a nurse, 22 years old. I really enjoy meeting locals, getting a real picture of life here is my favorite part. It's nice to live a practical life, rather than a luxurious one. She told me of how hard of a life she had in Italy, people must make priorities. Thank you God for McDonald's bathrooms! Then, I had an all-natural smoothie from a health foods store-- I am turning into my mother. Piran, Slovenia-- She invited me to stay with her! Her father escaped Hungary when he was 24 years old-- now he's almost 80. Many people here view Facebook as a communist idea-- they do not support it. The way that goodness and evil are present-- and the way the good can't erase the bad, but it makes it worth the struggle. It was around 2:30 at this time so I freshened up and headed out to explore. I felt so incredibly happy walking around. I also bought fresh vegetables at the market and was able to make my own dinner-- what a treat! 
Exploring in Ljubljana, Slovenia
 Carlos' birthday is tomorrow! I've become so much more independent the last few months, I've grown self-sufficient in a way I didn't even know was possible. Am I ready to think about these things? Yesterday when I was writing, a young man came up and asked me if he could take my picture. 
From my journaling spot at Lake Bled, Slovenia.
There were no ugly ducklings at Lake Bled, only beautiful swans! 
I began walking toward the train station and I ran into mis amigos de espana que estais en me dormitorio en vila veselova. We talked in Spanish and English y ayudais yo con mi espanol. En todos lugares, personas piensan que soy de France, Denmark, Australia, or Sweden. First, we drove up to the castle and climbed to a beautiful look out place. How bizarre and amazing, I love life! It's cool how much fun I had with them. I hurried downstairs and got signed into Skype. After talking with her, I called Carlos who had just found out he passed his boards, it was so amazing-- even though we were apart, we could be happy together. I am exactly where I want to be in life, doing exactly what I want to be doing. I feel empowered. Wow, it's almost unbelievable. I love my family so much and can't wait to see them again! You realize the people you have always had, and the ways that they have shaped and supported you. That means I only have 19 days left.

Zagreb was not what I expected. Then, the train was the slowest one I've ridden, what was supposed to be a two hour ride took four hours. 


There's nothing more peaceful that a train ride on a rainy day. 
The woman at the info. desk at the train station was very nice, but many people were not. I'm freaking out because there is no bathroom, and no one speaks English-- mainly because there is no bathroom! I am really excited to return to Sevilla, I miss my mom there. It was nice, once again, that I was alone because I was able to go at my own pace and do what I felt like. I officially accepted the position of Youth Advocate and I feel that this new responsibility has shifted my priorities. I am excited for the weddings this summer, and to return to my normal life. In this moment, I can't wait to go back to Spain and have clean clothes! I am so thankful for all of the experiences I have had, all of the people I have met, and all of the things I have learned. 


Croatian beauty. 
Looking over at Dubrovnik from the island Lokrum, Croatia. 
 Whew. I'm not sure if you made it through that rainbow maze but if so, welcome to my head. With my time wrapping up, it's great to look back at the places I've gone and the people I've met. I look forward to the future but know that I will always treasure these months in Spain.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great blog, Anna. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences with the rest of us. I am frequently amazed by the photos. You're a great photographer; I feel like I can learn techniques while I'm admiring your photos. Very excited about your new job and am looking forward to saying "Bienvenida!" to you here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias, Billie! I'm not sure if you have Photoshop but Picasa has a new update which is very cool (and free!)I really look forward to seeing you and hearing about your experiences, as well! Hasta pronto!!

      Delete
  2. Love the post Anna! It brought me to these thoughts:
    1. I now want to add "travel abroad solo" to my to-do list
    2. Muchas, muchas personas en Colombia piensan que soy Alemán. Creo que es el pelo rubio...?
    3. I should start writing in the journal my mom gave me when I left.
    4. I MUST visit Austria, where my grandpa left when he was just 16, now 80.
    5. We need to share our favorite Picasa tips :-)
    Thanks for sharing Anna!

    ReplyDelete